Who we are
Strongbones Children’s Charitable Trust is a national registered charity set up to provide emotional and practical support, increase inclusion by providing disability equipment and educational opportunities including workshops and facilities. We also provide support for parents and carers, access to sports and activities and family interaction days for the benefit of children and young people under the age of twenty one who have complex needs and also a diagnosis of a serious muscular skeletal condition such as scoliosis, bone cancer, scoliosis or spina bifida.
The charity has now been registered for over 20 years, which gives us years of experience in our field. This experience has allowed us to assist children and their families with guidance on how to make their conditions more manageable and enhance their quality of life to an optimum level.
Our aim is to encourage children and young people with lifelong medical conditions to grow by supporting them and their families and carers by allowing each young person to gain experience as individuals enriching their lives through, inclusion, stimulation, inspiration and education.
We believe that by working with and supporting families we can increase aspirations and widen understanding to ensure our young people live more fulfilled lives.
We take children out of social isolation and give them the ability to participate in everyday life and help support families whilst they come to the realisation that their child has a long-term incurable disability that will have a life changing impact on the whole family.
The majority of the children we encounter come from the most socially isolated sections of society, this coupled with the fact that many of their parents have had to give up employment to provide essential round the clock care for the life altering conditions of their children. Many people will not appreciate how much strength and resilience is needed to care for a disabled child, we feel society overlooks these parents, siblings and carers leaving them and their children feeling abandoned by the outside world.
What we do
Below is an extensive list of the work Strongbones carries out, but the trustees are always open-minded to innovative projects exclusive to children under our criteria
- We provide a online support network to over 1,000 families.
- We provide manual wheelchairs.
- We provide specialist buggies, adapted trikes and hand cycles.
- We provide supportive seating (If refused by State funding at panel).
- We provide advice to families in accessing welfare benefits. This includes disability benefits and disabled facilities grants that they may be entitled to receive.
- We provide disability aids and portable hoists to enable children to have a enhanced quality of life.
- We organise family days to enable parents and children to network.
- We organise and fully fund a yearly party in the summer to host 400-500 people.
- Educational resource packs and equipment.
- Sensory equipment.
- Acheeva learning stations.
- Skoog musical interface/communication aid.
- We provide balloons to children in hospital.
- We organise accessible inclusive activity weekends.
- We support siblings through our Super Sibling project which involves exciting competitions and inclusion for the whole family.
- We provide smart home technology.
Strongbones has given us something to look forward to. When each day we are given is another unexpected day we have with our precious son, it’s very hard to look forward to anything in the future because our child might not make it past today.
Strongbones allows us to make plans for their wonderful events knowing we will be well looked after, cherished, loved and amazed with their thought and originality and incredible hospitality. When every single journey outside of the home is a major operation, it’s lovely to know Strongbones will look after us on their magical trips away to meet other amazing families and to make memories we will treasure forever”
~ Sam Jeynes